The San Antonio Police Explorers attended an event hosted by the UTSA Criminal Justice Department to show explorers that UTSA is willing to assist them in furthering their education. Several explorers were presented with the Explorer Of the Year award. Congratulations to those explorers for a great job.
The San Antonio Police Explorer Program is a gateway to a career in law enforcement. It is designed to acquaint youth with the complexity of law enforcement and introduce them to police operations and procedures. Explorers build character, develop leadership skills, gain appreciation for community service, and develop good citizenship.
To be an S.A.P.D. explorer, you must:
- Be between the ages of 14 and 21
- Have completed the 8th grade
- Be in good health
- Pass a background check
- Pass a physical fitness test
- Complete Basic Explorer Training
- Attend meetings once a week, Tuesday or Wednesday from 6:00 to 9:00 pm
S.A.P.D. Explorer posts are chartered at all six substations around the city (North, Northwest, West, South, East, and Central). An S.A.P.D. officer assigned to the S.A.F.F.E. Unit acts as the advisor for each post. Although you are able to join any of the listed posts, most opt to join the closest to their home. Please review the listed addresses for the SAPD substation nearest you:
- North: 13030 Jones-Maltsberger, San Antonio, TX 78247
- Northwest: 5020 Prue Rd., San Antonio, TX 78240
- West: 7000 Culebra, San Antonio, TX 78238
- South: 711 W. Mayfield, San Antonio, TX 78211
- East: 3635 E. Houston, San Antonio, TX 78219
- Central: 515 S. Frio, San Antonio, TX 78207
If you are interested in becoming an S.A.P.D. Explorer, contact the post advisor listed for their area or fill out the explorer pre-application form. An advisor will contact you shortly. Join us and be a part of something wonderful!